Happy Friday you lovely lot!
It’s been a busy week here at Sissie Green HQ, we’ve been topping up our batches, printing all our gorgeous packaging and working on a very exciting new concept that we will be launching soon… keep your eyes peeled ;)!
As most of you know, we're really big ambassadors for keeping all our products environmentally friendly and sustainable so we can contribute to a cleaner planet for us all and the generations to come. This is why we decided on using soy wax as opposed to its popular rival paraffin wax, we wanted to take this opportunity to give you guys a little insight as to why we did this.
One of the biggest selling points for us was that soy wax is clean burning, this means that unlike paraffin candles, you won’t get the nasty toxic black smoke and soot. This isn’t only unhealthy and unsightly, it can also leave a residue on walls and furnishings around your home. The soot is basically solid particles that are the result of the incomplete combustion of carbon containing fuels I.e. petroleum based fuels.
This is called Petro-Carbon soot.
Within Petro-Carbon soot (a by-product of paraffin wax) there are several carcinogen compounds (nasties) which are classed as ‘toxic air agents’.
Scary Fact - research has been carried out and some paraffin candles have been found to contain 11 toxins… 2 above the excess cancer risk.
Since these soot particles are so small they can penetrate the deepest area of the lungs which is why they carry cautions and shouldn’t be used around the very young, the elderly, those with respiratory diseases and certain breeds of dogs and cats.
Soy Wax is completely Petro-Carbon free...winner!! This means our Sissie Green soy wax candles are safe to use*.
*If unsure always check against our CLP labels and seek advice.
There are other factors that can contribute to soy candles sooting but this is not toxic soot (I’ll give you a few hints and tips on how to prevent this later on).
A couple of extra Soy Vs Paraffin benefits
- Soy wax generally burns for longer than paraffin wax meaning you get a longer burn time with your candles, bonus!
- Soy wax is derived from natural vegetables whereas paraffin is a gasoline by-product.
- Soy wax is 100% biodegradable whilst paraffin is not.
- Soy releases fragrance easier than paraffin meaning you get the best possible fragrance level and throw.
Cleaning hack - Soy wax spills can be cleaned up with warm water and a cloth whereas paraffin clean ups take up much more time and can require specialist cleaning.
A couple of tips to prevent any form of sooting/smoking are
- Keep your wicks trimmed, we recommend keeping your wicks trimmed to around ¼ inch.
- Keep away from drafts, any air turbulence can cause the flame to flicker excessively which can result in over burning/uneven burning.
- Burning your candles for too long, we recommend burning our candles for a maximum of 4 hours at a time.
We hope this has given you a little bit of knowledge around not only our candles but any when you are purchasing them.
We pride ourselves on our high quality, amazing fragrances and the fact that we are carcinogen free which makes us a much friendly alternative.
Have a mega weekend!
Lots of Love,
The Sissie Green Sisters